Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Bluestem Nominee: Fortunately the Milk

I try every year to read at least one of the chapter book Bluestem nominees to my fourth and fifth grade classes even though it takes a bit of time. There's so much that can be done with a chapter book.  This year we read the fabulous and strange Fortunately the Milk by Neil Gaiman and it has been so much fun.

I have a confession though.  When I read it on my own last summer I didn't really like it.    It just wasn't for me.  I thought maybe I was wrong about it since it was written by Neil Gaiman.  He wrote Coraline! and The Graveyard Book!  It has to be good! I have now read it six times to six different classes and I have decided this is a book that is absolutely made for reading aloud.

Students have been responding in writing to the book as we've read.  Now as we're finishing up they're doing a little investigating into Neil Gaiman himself using his website www.mousecircus.com.  Then they shared what they learned with one another via Padlet.

Take a look at what they found out.

Ms. Stumbras's class

No comments:

Post a Comment