Sunday, January 24, 2016

What are you reading now?

I've recently finished How I Discovered Poetry by Marilyn Nelson, True Stories ed. by Jon Scieszka, and Egg & Spoon by Gregory Maguire.  My thoughts? In order: beautiful, absolutely fascinating, and a little bit confusing.




How I Discovered Poetry was a very quick read, beautifully written, and I felt I learned a lot about Marilyn Nelson's childhood.  As in any collection of work, I enjoyed some stories in True Stories more than others.  There were a couple that I couldn't stop thinking about/talking about for days which is always the sign of good non-fiction for me as a reader.  As for Egg & Spoon I'm not sure what I think.  I liked it but thought that sometimes there was just too much going on in the story.  It is based on the folktale of Baba Yaga, the witch whose house walks on chicken legs.  This definitely intrigued me and I thought the first chapter of the book was absolutely beautiful.  As the story went on my attention wavered a bit.  Ultimately I was glad I finished it but would be interested to hear what others thought!

Next up Shadows of Sherwood by Kekla Magoon.  I've read a couple of other books by Magoon and liked them, so I'm looking forward to it.


No comments:

Post a Comment